Author Topic: Rescued chipmunk from cat  (Read 613 times)

Whatamidoing

Rescued chipmunk from cat
« on: September 04, 2013, 03:08:11 AM »
Hello,
    I have looked high and low for help with this poor "guy". My cat dropped this little guy in our doorway 3 days ago and I quickly chased the cat away. We grabbed him up and put him in a bucket. I took him outside and to our dismay he wouldn't run away anywhere. I told the children that he might be traumatized and we would try to let him go after dinner. Well after dinner it was the same thing, he didn't move much at all. Well now it has been a few days and he is still here. I don't know if he is a baby? I think he may be a male? But my largest question is this: he has a hole on his stomach and a large bulge. Black fluid leaks from it. The bulge moves!!!! I am horrified as to what it is! I originally thought that maybe it is an intestine, or lol that it was giving birth! Then I wondered if it was some sort of worm!!!!! Eeeeeeak The black fluid that leaks smells putrid. I q-tipped some peroxide on it and it does not seem infected. Can any one help??? He sleeps a lot, eats a lot but doesn't move around to fast. I plan on releasing him back to the wild when he can get away from pray but at this point I am concerned about parasites around the kids. Let me know of ideas. Thanx

jennyb

• Chipmunks, also 3 Cats & 2 Guineapigs
    • www.chirpiechipmunkz.webs.com
Re: Rescued chipmunk from cat
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 03:54:06 AM »
Hi,

thanks for rescuing this Chippie,

I think it may be Botfly you are describing, the larvue form develops inside animals and Chipmunks are known to be common targets. The fly will normally leave when it needs to pupate but since this Chip was caught by a Cat and has Botfly it would be good if you could get it to a vet and  meds to fight against any bacteria it may of got from the Cat and get the Botfly removed. If not if you can get hold of some Baytril that will help prevent infection from the Cat. I did read somewhere that tweezers can sometimes be used to remove a Botfly by grabbing the end of the larvue be careful not to kill it, any toxins it releases into the body could kill the Chipmunk. I think its a young Chipmunk since the tail doesn't look particularly bushy but couldn't give an exact age. To tell sex look at how far the parts are - if female they will almost touch, if this is a young male (less than a year old) there will be quite a gap between the parts. A mature male at this time of the year it will be obvious so this isn't a mature male as can't see testicles.

This website explains more details

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/flies/squirrel_bot_fly.htm
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:03:43 AM by jennyb »

jennyb

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 04:25:47 AM »

Marci

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 06:25:21 AM »
It's definitely a baby.  Can you take it to a vet or squirrel or wildlife rehabber?
Buddy (RIP 1/10/12), Brandy (RIP 7/18/12) Lilly, Remy & Martyn, R&M offspring - Jack & Coco, C&J baby - Little Guy, L&J baby - Ginger

Whatamidoing

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 04:36:04 PM »
Oh my gosh you guys are ingenious!!!!!!!! Thank you so much. I looked at the threads and knew that yes, this had to be it. I pressed the bulge down towards his bottom. Then I carefully took needle nose medical tweezers and gently pulled very very very slowly. As more and more came out I started to panic that I had his lil stomach or something. I held it together telling myself that it obviously looked like a bug shell. I actually held him out our window because by this time I was sooooooo grossed out that the bot fly would fly in my face or something!! The whole thing took about 15 min to do. I didn't want to pull quickly for fear that it was attached to his poor insides. We live out in the country (u.s.) and the vets around here only see horses, cows, dogs and cats. To be honest they would probably euthanize on the spot for rabies fear and then make everyone have rabies shots. lol My chickens gobbled up the larvae so I never did get to examine the creature. Mr. Chipmunk seems content. He is eating right now as I write. Hopefully he will be back to good shape in no time..........he's been here for awhile now and we are quite attached. He may have found a home. Lol I can not tell you again how much I appreciate the advice. I looked high and low for what it could be and got no where. Thank you and I am sure if the lil chipmunk could, he would thank you all as well! 

Whatamidoing

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 05:47:27 PM »
I also forgot to mention there were no marks from the cat grabbing him....which was fantastic. That's why I found the hole so odd. I checked him over as soon as I chased her off and noticed the odd moving hole. *shudder* I have looked up bot flies since my last post, you would have thought something would have popped up with a google search of "chipmunk parasite". You guys are wonderful.

ell1es

• Global Moderator
  • Experienced breeder with rare cinnamon chipmunks
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »
I also forgot to mention there were no marks from the cat grabbing him....which was fantastic. That's why I found the hole so odd. I checked him over as soon as I chased her off and noticed the odd moving hole. *shudder* I have looked up bot flies since my last post, you would have thought something would have popped up with a google search of "chipmunk parasite". You guys are wonderful.
Great work, well done x
Ellie
Twitter-GoanchickEllie
Facebook-Ellie Shepherd/ H & S Chipmunks West Yorkshire
Bradford, W-Yorks

Scooter, Ramone & Sydney - Dilutes
Sunshine, Shakira & Rowan - Cinnamon Chipmunks
Gertie, Gracie & Gloria the guinea pigs
Ariel & Arthur the cats
Bindi - English Springer Spaniel

Marci

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 10:52:45 PM »
What a happy ending!

Jenny and Whatamidoing, my hat's off to the both of you.
Buddy (RIP 1/10/12), Brandy (RIP 7/18/12) Lilly, Remy & Martyn, R&M offspring - Jack & Coco, C&J baby - Little Guy, L&J baby - Ginger

jennyb

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 01:54:32 AM »
Glad to hear you got the Botfly out  :notworthy: I am sure the Chippie will feel much better now it is out. I once had someone email me a picture of a Chipmunk with a similar type wound and I did not know what it was had never heard of Botflies at this point so I had a look on The Squirrel Board and found their section on Botflies then found a thread specifically about a Chipmunk with them. I was pretty sure that was what the Chipmunk I had been emailed about had, this particular Chip had two, I didn't hear back from the person after I replied so don't know if they were able to get the Bot out or they just left it to come out by itself.

I agree they are nasty things, I am glad we don't have them here.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 01:56:04 AM by jennyb »

adamclark18

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 07:53:15 AM »
Updated pics are always enjoyed by us lot ;-)

Rennie

• 22 year old female. PhD student.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 10:32:23 PM »
Updated pics are always enjoyed by us lot ;-)

Agreed. Would be great to see how the little guy is doing.

Proud owner of Crick. RIP Watson.

Whatamidoing

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »
Just checked in on here again..... Wanted to let everyone know that his health started getting much, much better!! Do the flys really make them that ill?? Anyway he started jumping really high, squeaking and biting! Lol when we first rescued him he never made a peep. So the kids and I decided he should return to nature to live. He was soo funny. He looked around a little bit then took off running up the tree to a notch in it. We have been putting food there for him and his friends to eat. Thanks to all that helped us here are some pics of him in the tree.

Whatamidoing

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 12:54:16 PM »
Lol sorry the pics ended up sideways!!

Elaine

• Helping With The Cinnimon Breeding Program
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 03:47:37 PM »
Bless him !! So glad its a happy ending. He would surely have died if you hadn't got the fly out.
Well done you !!
Tiger,Lilly,Mia R.I.P (Dilutes)
Britney,Alvin,Scrat,Milo,(Cinnamon Carriers)
Kieda (Cinnamon) 
Meeko and Elsa. (Cinnamon and Dilute Carriers)

Elaine

Dextersmum

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 07:48:21 PM »
Oh gods just googled botflies brrrrrrr, lucky chippy!! x
My little family;
Dexter the chipmunk,
Gemini, Dennis, Phoebe and Amelie the cats,
Janet, Susan, Emily and Helen the degus,
Rhino and Odin the dwarf hamsters,
and Ianto the turtle :)