Author Topic: do male chipmunks chirp?  (Read 1214 times)

larkabright

do male chipmunks chirp?
« on: August 29, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
do males still chirp in the mating season? just cos Barleys started chirping, and i was wondering what it meant? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Nate

• Nathen
  • Administrator
    • Super Chipmunks
Re: do male chipmunks chirp?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 12:40:02 PM »
I’ve seen some of my males chirp at any time of the year. It tends to be when they are alarmed by something, and could be to warn the others of danger. They chirp very loudly and quite fast, but not for very long.

Then sometimes they will chirp for no reason I can work out. This is a much slower and softer chirp.  :dontknow:

I should say that the females can also do this as well, I have only noticed the females do that constant all day chirping though.

pinkpill

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 02:09:43 PM »
all my males chirp loudly n constantly sometimes for no apparent reason, i used to think it was for me to let them out but they still did it then  :dontknow: i have one who chirps more than the others and he looks quite relaxed when he does it, just lazing stretched out over something, so he doesnt appear to be scared or a warning sign. maybe its just what they do sometimes  :icon_biggrin:
*Fanx Kindly!*:notworthy:

larkabright

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 03:32:06 PM »
coolio. thanx everybody.

Sam_Spice

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 09:32:33 PM »
I took Tiny's 'non-scared' chirps as a sign of him looking for other chipmunks. It seems to have stopped since he has a friend  :icon_thumleft: